Tuesday 12 January 2016

My garden, January 2016.

I've been making an effort to pop out into the garden for 20 minutes or so every time the weather is nice enough to.  I've been doing a lot of weeding, especially of the gravel on the driveway!

Mulching with fallen leaves.  My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

Mulching with fallen leaves.  My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

I've weeded the bed down the side of the house and then covered all the bare soil with fallen leaves I raked off the lawn.  I read somewhere (I can't remember where!) about using fallen leaves as a mulch over winter, to protect bare soil from getting too weedy and to add nutrients to the soil as they break down.  I'm giving it a try this year, I'm all for free soil improvement!

Home grown leaves.  My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

I'm still picking home grown rainbow chard and spinach beet, as well as spring onions and some herbs, which I'm pretty happy about.

Garlic and onions grown in raised bed.  My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

My front garden raised bed seems to be doing well.

Spring bulbs in pots.  My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

My bulbs are popping up, I've got daffodils, crocus and tulips.

My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

My garden, January 2016. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk #gardenblogger #ukblogger #gardening

Here's the garden, views from each end.  I have it in my head to paint the green fence white once the weather's drier, I think it'll really brighten up the garden and I can't bear to look at the multi-tone green fence for another year!

There are lots of flowers still in bloom, and lots of plants seem to be putting out their spring buds already.  I'm a bit worried.  Is this global warming?  I have my fingers crossed that a frost won't come along and kill all the plants, or if it does then they manage to grow back!

How has your garden been this winter?  Any exciting plans for your new year growing?

Some of my gardening posts you might have missed, filling a raised bed with the lasagna method, make cork plant labels and my visit to a beautiful walled garden.  



10 comments:

  1. I've not been able to do much in the garden - so very very wet. When we first arrived we put in drains under the pathways and lawn to help keep the garden from being drenched (we are on the lower side of a slight hill and all the remaining gardens/allotments drain down into us)and up until this last lot of rather damp weather, the garden has remained accessible - until now - we know the drains are still working as water constantly trickles out and into the calvert but the lawn is just a 'squelch-fest' and the beds lumps of sodden clay...might have to wait a bit longer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame, I hope your garden un-sogs itself soon! My garden beds seem very wet but they're not so bad as yours!

      Delete
  2. I cant wait to have a house with a garden so I can start to grow veggies! I am hoping that I will have a little vegetable patch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in a flat for 3 years and was so excited to move to our house because we got a garden, it's so fun! I'm hoping to grow lots this summer! Wishing you a garden of your own soon xx

      Delete
  3. Its all shaping up wonderfully Susie.
    I have harvested some chard too, but not much else. Fingers crossed maybe some white sprouting broccoli next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White broccoli sounds exciting, I've not seen that before! Hope you get some soon!

      Delete
  4. I'm so worried about the plants growing and then being killed off too! I really hope it isn't global waeming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah i'm so jealous you can get to work in your garden in the winter months. Mine has been covered in snow for the last couple of weeks, that and the ground is frosted over and it's -5 at the warmest most days which isn't the most inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh noo, that's too cold! I really enjoy getting out in the garden when I can, I count it as exercise so I try to get out a couple of times a week at least!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie