Friday 18 August 2017

My plastic free lunch box.

I love my plastic free lunch boxes!  They're long lasting, don't leech horrible plastic chemicals into my food and won't end up as plastic landfill waste when I've finished with them*.

My plastic free lunch box. Stainless steel lunch boxes and containers.  From UK eco blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #plasticfree #stainlesssteel #plasticfreelunchbox #plasticfreelunchkit #ecofriendly #ecolunchbox

* I will never have finished with them, they'll last forever! 

I have two Klean Kanteen stainless steel containers in my lunch kit.  The bottle is really handy and I use the insulated canister for rice, curries, pasta, salads and that kind of thing for work.  I picked them both up from Ebay for about £20 each, the bottle is the Reflect 18oz and the canister is the 16oz Insulated Food Canister.

For sandwiches and wraps I have a stainless streel Elephant box.  It's really sturdy and nice (and soo shiny!).  I bought it direct from the Elephant box website, it's the square salad tin and it cost £11.99.

I also have a couple of little tins that I take dried fruit and nuts in.  I think one was from paperchase and the other used to have mints in.  I have a couple more somewhere, they're really useful for little portions of dry things.

I take my lunch in a second hand Skipping Girl basket.  I ALWAYS wanted a Skipping Girl bag in the 90's, and I found one recently on Ebay for a few pounds so I pounced on it!  They're hand made using re-purposed fishing twine.  This one is big enough for everything to fit in, and a magazine and book for lunchtime, and a pack-a-mack for when it rains on the walk home!

As you can see, all these nice stainless steel lunch boxes and bottles aren't cheap.  But I've bought cheaper versions of everything before and they just haven't lasted.  I've budgeted and bought my plastic free lunch kit bit by bit over a few months.  I'm glad I did too, because these have stood up to loads of wear and I'm looking forward to many more years of happy plastic free lunches!


Don't forget to check out my other small changes to help you live a greener life!


 

10 comments:

  1. I confess I have a number of plastic containers for various reasons, but your right - for sandwiches and cold pasta salads we could easily use stainless steel ones as I have loads of them too that just sit and look prettey, all recycled from tinned gifts. I will utilise them more and make a promise to myself not to buy anymore plastic ones from today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! I find my steel ones much nicer to use, I just have to remember not to put them in the microwave when I'm heating my lunch up!!

      Delete
  2. This has really made me think about how I transport my lunches - I use a fabric bag but generally store food in plastic tubs. I will definitely be on the look-out for stainless steel containers from now on, to stop my pesky plastic habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! I started replacing my plastic tubs when they ran out and I like my steel ones much better!

      Delete
  3. I am trying to move over to plastic free, but with 4 of us having lunchboxes - it gets a little expensive, definitely a slow-as-we-can-afford-it move :) I love the klean kanteen range, we have the small flasks and they work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indian tiffin tins are brilliant, lots of compartments and really cool to look at, too. They're cheap as chips in India but most Asian supermarkets stock them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tiffins, but sadly mine didn't stand up to daily lugging about in my work bag and broke :( It's lid split as well, which is weird cos it was quite thick metal, maybe I just had a duff one!

      Delete
  5. They are a great idea! I have a silicone lunch box but lots of plastic also. Probably should try to replace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replaced my plastic ones as and when they wore out, and I'm so glad I did!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie