Friday 20 April 2018

15 ways I use coconut oil instead of conventional beauty products.

I used to spend loads of pennies on beauty products, but over the years I've replaced them all with coconut oil.

Conventional beauty products contain loads of chemicals and some of them are harmful, and they're generally packaged in plastic which I try to avoid. 

This huge jar of coconut oil cost £15 and has lasted me well over a year so far.  If I used conventional beauty products I'd be spending over £50 (calculated using prices for basic vegan friendly products on Superdrug's website).  Here's how I use it...

15 ways I use coconut oil instead of conventional beauty products. From UK #eco-friendly blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #coconutoil #plasticfree #ecofriendlyblog

Face
Lip balm
Under eye cream
Serum - if it's a really cold day, or my skin is a bit dry, I pop some coconut oil on my cheeks before I put my moisturiser on.
Day cream - if I'm not going out I'll use coconut oil as a face moisturiser, but if I'm going outside I use a cream with SPF instead.
Night cream
Face exfoliator - make a really nice exfoliating and moisturising face mask by mixing coconut oil, oats and sugar - rub in into your face and leave it on for a few minutes before washing it off.

Body
Body lotion
Hand lotion
Cuticle balm
Foot lotion
After sun
Body scrub - mix a little bit of coconut oil with granulated sugar for a nice gentle exfoliator. 

Hair
Leave in conditioner - I melt a teeny bit in between my palms and then run it through wet or dry hair.
Frizz ease - I used to use sooo much Frizz Ease, coconut oil doesn't give quite the same effect but it does help keep frizzy hair at bay. 
Hair protector for swimming

Is there anything else I can use coconut oil for?!?







6 comments:

  1. Ooh thanks for this! I bought a wee jar a while ago and wasn't really sure what to do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I do have a jar which I seem to have neglected from recipes so I will use it as moisturiser instead. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can cook with it, replacing oils and fat, and also use it as a mouthwash (about a teasponful) allow it to melt in the mouth and swish it around for 2 minutes before spitting out - very good for healthy gums.
    You can also add a spoonful to smoothies, and take it right off the spoon if you can accept the taste. It works wonders internally as well as on the skin and hair.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie