Friday 22 June 2018

Make one small change - put your compost in the fridge.

Making one small change at a time can make becoming eco friendly loads easier.  Lots of small changes add up to a big difference.

Make one small change - put your compost in the fridge. From UK eco blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #composting #makeonesmallchange #ecoblog #ecoblogger

Are you really lazy?  And do terrible things, like leave the kitchen compost caddy full for so long it gets fruit flies in it, which then fill the whole house for weeks?  Or is that just me?  

Last year, in the height of summer, Joe and I kept forgetting to take the composting out to the bin and ended up with a fly situation several times.  There's nothing more off-putting than a compost caddy full of maggots, by the way.   

So we came up with the (genius?) idea of keeping food scraps for the compost bin in a big plastic tub the fridge.  That way we can empty it a couple of times a week without it going mouldy or slimy or maggoty.  

How do you make composting easier? 

Don't forget to check out my other small changes to help you live a greener life!






4 comments:

  1. At the moment, we don't compost (don't have a compost heap yet) so out compostable waste goes out with the garden waste - and I'm very on top of taking it out regularly! I've read though, that if you freeze it before composting it decomposes more quickly - perhaps another option to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I think I've heard that somewhere too - our freezer is always really full though and our fridge empty so at the moment putting anything extra in the freezer isn't an option (unless it's vegan ice cream - there's always room for vegan ice cream!) :)

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea!!!! I really like that idea but my husband would KILL me if I did that- he's soooooooooooooo closed minded! And yes, it is also me who leaves their compost caddy till it gets super stinky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no - could you sneak it in there without him noticing? :) (hee hee, this would never work on my husband, he notices everything!)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie