Wednesday 17 August 2011

Gardeny Goodness...

I LOVE August in the garden, it's sunny, most of the planting has been done and lots of things are growing and being exciting!

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think my bell peppers are going to be a huge success this year.  Last year they didn't fruit until about October, by which time it was way too cold, this year they're in the greenhouse at the new house, which is in a much warmer, sunnier spot and they're doing much better! 


We also have cucumbers, tomatoes and (an unpictured) melon in the greenhouse, all making enormous fruits!


We have two plum trees, the first one has already finished plumming purple plums, this second one has just started getting ripe, pinky, green plums on it, soooo many plums!


Ahh, poor old onions, we planted 2 big packs of onion sets and lots of spring onion seeds, this is all that grew, they're not happy, most of them went brown and squidgy, these are a bit droopy, but the onions are firm and seem healthy so we're letting them stay for now...

This is Pierre the pumpkin, all the way from France (a present from one of mum's friends), he started off all puny, but he's making up for it now and has run all over the garden, he has lots of flowers and lots of yellow pumpkin babies!  I also have two courgette plants that I've already had about 8 courgettes from, good job the snail likes them too!  The courgettes have been sooo much happier in the ground than last years attempts to grow them in pots!


We have many leeks!

I had broad beans planted in this patch, once they were finished I pulled them up and we've planted 2 rows of beetroot and a row of spinach plants in the space, I also planted some more broad beans (no photo of them) about three weeks ago up by the courgette patch, and they've already got beans on them! Must have been the perfect time for them to go in!


I didn't take photos of everything, we also have potatoes, peas, kale, broccoli, cabbage and lots of herbs growing too - phew! How are your gardens growing this month?

6 comments:

  1. Your garden looks wonderful! You have some good stuff in there. So jealous of the plums, fruit trees don't do too well where I'm at. Also jealous of the leeks. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon Marie, I think your garden is lovely too! We definately are lucky to have inherited lovely soil and mature fruit trees in our garden though, can't say we'll have many plums next year, because those trees are in for a mega prune in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're going to be having some wonderful feasts!

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how well our tomatoes have grown, they really enjo the new greenhouse, do you not have room for toms this year shaheen?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie