Sunday 26 October 2014

Baby Crochet, Crochet Cupcake Hat and Hairclips.

My brother and his fiance had a baby yesterday! She was born lovely and healthy and cute!

Crochet cupcake baby hat, from the free repeat crafter me pattern. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

She was a little earlier than expected, so excuse my quick pre-work photoshoot, in bad lighting and using a tub of antiseptic wipes as a hat display stand!

I used the free pattern for a crochet cupcake hat from the blog Repeat Crafter Me.  My sister in law has a cake making business, so I thought a crochet cupcake hat would be the perfect thing for my new niece. 

The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn, which I think in UK terms is aran weight wool, but I didn't have any and I'm still working on using up my yarn stash.  So I used a strand of 4ply and a strand of dk white yarn, held together, with a 5mm hook for the white, icing part of the cupcake.  I used one strand of beige dk and a 4mm hook for the brown, cake-y part of the cupcake (I tried using 2 strands of beige dk and it was too chunky, especially for a baby hat). 

Crochet cupcake baby hat, from the free repeat crafter me pattern. secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

The beige part of the cupcake hat is made using front and back post stitches, which I'd never tried before, I can notice where I've made a couple of mistakes, but hopefully no-one else will!  There's a really helpful video tutorial for these stitches on Repeat Crafter Me too.

And of course you can't forget the big sister!  These hair clips are for my older niece.

crochet flower hair clips secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

Are you making anything?  I'm still working on my mustard shawl (you can see it in the background of the photo above), I'm trying to decide on a suitable edging.

Linking up with Annemarie's Haakblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie