Saturday 25 June 2016

5 things to do to cope with Brexit.

5 things to do to cope with Brexit. secondhandsusie.blogspot.com

Oh dear!  I have no proper or clever words for what I think about Brexit.  Apart from really sweary ones!  

I hope something positive comes from it, but I honestly think it's a political and economic disaster and I'm so sad that I don't get to be a European any more.

I don't know if I can honestly say I'm feeling positive right now, but I'm trying to work towards it.  When something sad happens I give myself a day or so to wallow in it, then try to move on, so that's what I'm doing now.  Time to remember the good and lovely things in life I think,

Turn off the TV and the Radio and the Internet. 
Even if it's just for a little bit.  A constant stream of opinions will do you no good.  Social media is not your friend at this time.  The rage you feel from people being objectionable online doesn't usually outweigh the comfort found from those who share your feelings.  Turn them all off, for a few hours, days or weeks, and do something else.

Go outside.
The night before the vote, full of angsty tension, I pruned 3 trees.  Yesterday Joe hacked down the back garden hedge.  Today I've watched some birds hopping about the garden, and planted some vegetable seeds.  Breathe in and out, look at pretty flowers, the world is still going on, it's still beautiful and hoppy sparrows are still hopping.   

Do your favourite things. 
Since the referendum result was announced I've had a Chinese, read, watched Star Wars and Doctor Who, danced around to my favourite music, hugged my husband extra tight, been charity shopping and to the pub to see a friend on her birthday.  It's good to remember that good things still exist, and lots of them will still exist even though our politics are a pile of poop. 

Use your voice.
Find a petition to sign or write to your MP.  This petition for another referendum is currently doing the rounds, and has over 2.5 million signatures.  I'm not sure how politically sound it is to say I didn't like those results, can we have another go?  But it felt good to register my feels somewhere.  I like this one too, to show Jeremy Corbyn we still want him as Labor leader and the one asking the EU to offer EU citizenship to those who want it

Be excellent to one another.
Times are tough, be kind to each other.  Do random acts of niceness for friends and strangers.  Avoid anyone who'll spout opinions at you that you can't cope with.  Smile at people.  Do you know who I'm extra-smiling at?  Immigrants.  I would hate to think anyone feels unwelcome in our country.  A lady was most excellent to me at the pub tonight, my husband had got involved with a ranty, angry young man talking about the EU ref, and she, a stranger, tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I'd like to sit with her instead, where we discussed life stuff and eventually did talk about the EU, but only so say how sad and shocked we were.  Lovely lady!  More of this kind of thing please.      

If all of that fails, plan your escape to Scotland (my research tells me we can probably afford a lovely 3 bedroom house in Dumfries, which has a train station, cinema and a library!).  Also read this poem, it always calms me, 

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Desiderata - Max Ehrman

I hope you're all holding up ok.  xxx


 


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I think many of us are bereaving. Things have changed overnight, feels like we have gone back to the 1970s - genuinely worried about the future now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, really scary stuff going on :( I'm heartbroken.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Googled 'how to cope with Brexit' and found this delightful article. Strangely I've been doing much of the same - turning off the news, busying myself with practical tasks, signing online petitions and taking pleasure in small things. Thank you for this - let's keep the faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karina :) I think it's all we can do at the moment, I hope you're looking after yourself x

      Delete
  4. Thank you Susie for such a lovely positive post, especially in these negative times. I too am seriously worried for the future of us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna, I hope things will get a little better and a little clearer soon. Take care of yourself x

      Delete
  5. Thank you for positive post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best thing I did last weekend was delete the Facebook and Twitter apps from my phone. I'm still using them occasionally, but it's made me a lot less stressed and depressed to not have this constant feed of horrible news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's for the best at the moment, I feel kind of guilty for being consciously uninformed, but I feel a lot calmer just ignoring what's going on for now! Hope you're taking care x

      Delete
  7. I decided to go back to my usual world of no news, no newspapers (I have no TV!) so I felt better after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ususally find out my news from the internet, but I'm still avoiding it, every time I dare to take a peek it's got worse!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie