Sunday 25 January 2015

Library Love. The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, The Land of Decoration, Playing to the Gallery, Polymer Clay Buttons.


Library Love.  The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, The Land of Decoration, Playing to the Gallery, Polymer Clay Buttons.

This month I've been reading,

The Spell Book of Listen Taylor - Jaclyn Moriarty
This was in the YA section of the library, but it reads like an adult book, most of the characters are adults, although Listen is a teen, and it's mostly about adult relationships.  I did a bit of research, and it turns out this book was originally published as adult fiction (under the amazing title 'I have a bed made of Buttermilk Pancakes'!) and has been re-edited under a new title for YA release.  I absolutely loved this book, I fell in love with all the characters and was intrigued by the interesting, disjointed way the story was told.    

The Land of Decoration - Grace McCleen 
Ten year old Judith has been brought up by her strict father as part of a very religious group.  She creates a world in her bedroom and when she covers it with snow, it snows in the real world.  Is it a coincidence or a miracle?  I spent a lot of this book worried about Judith's mental health.  It was tense but I kind of enjoyed it.

Library Love.  The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, The Land of Decoration, Playing to the Gallery, Polymer Clay Buttons.

Playing to the Gallery - Grayson Perry
I loved the illustrations in this book about contemporary art.  Questions like 'what is art?', 'is everything art?' are examined and I understand a little bit about how the money side of the art business works.  I can't say I learned a lot from this book, but it was interesting to read something different and I like the way Grayson Perry writes.

20 to Make Polymer Clay Buttons -Karen Walker
There are lovely projects in this book.  I especially liked the owl buttons, the mushrooms and the spotty ones. 

What have you been reading?

You can see more of my book reviews here

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've got The Land of Decoration out from the library at the mo, it's going to be my next read! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing your clay button creations, esp. The mushroom ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some polymer clay, but I've packed it away since I'm trying to sell my flat, I hope I'll be able to find it again once I move! :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie