Saturday 27 July 2013

Easy, Cheap, Vegan Meals...Split Pea Burgers, Mushroom Fried Rice, Vegan Pizza...

Here are some more of my quick, easy vegan meal ideas...


I posted the recipe for my spicy split pea burgers here, ages ago.  This time I put some cooked quinoa in, and used a tin of whole tomatoes instead of tomato puree.  I change the recipe every time but they always come out yummy and healthy.  I made the flat bread, which is half white, half wholemeal flour, oats, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and turmeric.  I like making my own bread because it gives me the chance to get as many nice nutritional things in as possible.  That green salad on the side is made up of home grown lettuce - oh yeah!


I call this mushroom-y onion-y rice (creative huh!?).  Cook some rice, and while that's boiling chop up a red onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and some mushrooms.  Fry these in a pan together and at the last minute throw in some greens and/or herbs (I used some baby spinach, my first harvest from my balcony, and some left over tops of spring onions this time, but anything you fancy and you have on hand is good).  Once the rice is cooked, drain it and plop it into the frying pan too, fry for another couple of minutes and you're good to go.


Vegan cheeseless pizza is soo good!  I use a basic pizza dough recipe (350g flour, 15g yeast, 250ml warm water, 1tsp sugar, 1tsp salt, 1 tbsp oil - put yeast and sugar in water and wait for it to bubble, pour with oil into flour and salt, mix, turn out and knead for 10 mins, leave to rise for 1 hour, punch back and knead for 1 min, then leave to rest for at least 15 mins.  Makes enough for 3 pizzas, you can freeze the dough too), add a mix of tomato ketchup and tomato puree for the base, then a mix of veggies on top.  It is soo good!

What vegan meals do you like cooking?

8 comments:

  1. i like reading these posts! i've been trying out lots of different vegan burger recipes recently! and you are right, you can sneak in all kinds of healthy stuff into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian! I've enjoyed reading the burger posts you've been posting too :) If I didn't sneak healthy things into nice tasting food I think I would get scurvy!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious Sooz!
    Have a great week!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so easy to be vegan (or for me, vegan-ish) in the summer with so much excellent produce! And yay for home-grown salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right! I'm really terrible at eating salad but I'm a bit more motivated if I've grown it myself!

      Delete
  4. WOW! These look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie