Monday 4 February 2013

Vegan Chocolate Fridge Cake Recipe...

This is my go to recipe when I have to quickly make a dish to take to a party or meeting.  This one is to cheer up an 8.30am staff meeting tomorrow.  It's super easy to make.

This recipe makes enough mix to fill one square dish sized 22cm by 22cm AND one round dish measuring 16cm across (I didn't have a dish big enough!) 

vegan fridge cake, or tiffin. Chocolate no cook cake. second hand susie blog.

400g packet of vegan digestive biscuits
3 dessert spoons cocoa powder
4 dessert spoons vegan margarine
3 dessert spoons golden syrup
pinch of salt
200g vegan chocolate
Sprinkles and edible glitter (optional)

Put the digestives in a bowl and crush using the end of a rolling pin, add the cocoa powder and pinch of salt.

Put the margarine and syrup in a bowl in the microwave and blast for 30 seconds, then remove and stir, repeat until it's melted, then tip onto the biscuit mix.

Stir together and pour into a foil lined container.  Push it firmly down into the corners and make sure it's packed tightly.

Break the chocolate and put into a bowl, melt in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir, repeat until it's melted.

Pour the melted chocolate onto the biscuit mix and spread out to cover it all.  Add sprinkles now if you want them!

Put in the fridge for a couple of hours (or overnight) then cut into squares.  Keep in the fridge.
vegan fridge cake, or tiffin. Chocolate no cook cake. second hand susie blog.


P.S. 'Scuse my badly lit photos, I cook in the evenings, so it's hard to get a decent photo!

Linking up with Lakota at Ta-dah Tuesday and Frugally Sustainable.

8 comments:

  1. Now that is a good idea - cake without putting the oven on, another one on my 'to try' list I'm thinking. I made your potato leek and lentil bake by the way, easy and frugal so that will be a regular for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the bake :)...this one's not as healthy but it's nice for an easy treat (I only allow myself to make it when I have people to share with, otherwise I'll eat it all on my own!)

      Delete
  2. I've come over here from Ta Dah Tuesday. There was no way I wasn't going to click on your photo; it involved sprinkles!! These look and sound absolutely delicious. I would make some now but sadly don't have any biscuits in the house. Darn. Tomorrow it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you, they are quite delicious, even if I say so myself! I hope you find some biscuits soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Looks good Sooz!

    It's a bit like the tiffin recipe I sometimes make, which just has some extra ingredients - raisins, chopped nuts, spices & a couple of spoonfuls of brandy!

    Ginger biscuits work well as a replacement for the digestives too.

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay...it is really tiffin, apart from I don't put the healthy, fruity stuff in! Your brandy version sounds very sophisticated!

      I was wondering about a ginger biscuit version as I was making it, definitely one I'm going to try!

      Delete
  4. Ooh fridge cake! Liking the sound of it. I fear I may have broken my 'being good' seal with making biscuits and now I want to bake (and eat) constantly. This would be a good one for the kids to help with too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say that as if wanting to bake constantly is a bad thing! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie