Tuesday 4 March 2014

Vegan Pancakes, Happy Pancake Day!

This is a repost of an old recipe, but it still counts, 'cos it's pancake day today and I will be making these bad boys later!


Happy pancake day!  Hope you have eaten many battery, lemon-y, sugar-y pancakes! My vegan pancakes were particularly delicious this year, so I thought I'd share some of my tricks with you (it's my 7 year vegan-iversary this month, so I've had 7 pancake days to perfect it!).  They're dairy free and soya free too!

1. My recipe is really simple and makes 4 pancakes, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of sunflower oil and enough water to make a medium thickness batter (still runny but not thin and watery...slightly thicker than non-vegan pancake mix, it needs to be thicker to help it hold together, as it doesn't have eggs or milk to bind it)
2. Use more oil in the pan than you would for a non-vegan pancake, about a teaspoon per pancake, otherwise it WILL stick to the pan.
3. Make a thicker pancake than you would a non-vegan version...you won't get a really thin, crepe type pancake from this recipe, cos it needs to be thicker to hold together (it's the no eggs thing again!).
4. Get the oil really hot in the pan, pour a quarter of the mix to make a thick-ish pancake into the pan then leave it alone...don't prod it or poke it or try to lift up the sides for about 3 minutes to let it form a crust so it hold's itself together (there's a theme here right!?).
5. Trying to flip the pancake is probably a bad idea..it will fall apart, turn it over gently with a flipper thingy, then leave it to go brown
6. Slide onto a plate, cover with enough lemon and sugar to make your teeth hurt, and enjoy!

Do you have a vegan pancake recipe?


6 comments:

  1. Happy Pancake day to you too! We almost always make vegan pancakes (though we are not vegan) just because they are so simple and taste just as good and you don't have to worry about having milk on hand. Love the addition of lemon to your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon is the traditional topping, with sugar, for Shrove Tuesday pancakes in the UK, is it a weird British thing?! I always worry a bit that my vegan pancakes aren't quite as good as non-vegan ones, so I'm glad you think they are! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow I would never have thought of making a vegan pancake - could you use egg replacer? Congratulations on 7 years a vegan, from this lapsed vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done them with egg replacer (I use orgran's no egg) but it doesn't seem to make much difference, so I don't bother any more. I would like to try again though, maybe with this new egg replacer called the vegg which is supposed to be good. Thanks for the veganiversary congrats :)

      Delete
  3. Hello and thank you for visiting me. Your recipe looks great thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie