Saturday 4 July 2015

How to Make Vegan Cheese from Nutritional Yeast and Pine Nuts.

My boy invented this dairy free, soya free, vegan cheese substitute, and I think it's super yummy.  It makes lovely cheese flavoured stuff to sprinkle over pizza or pasta.

It's simple to make too, you'll need,

Pine nuts
Bread crumbs (the kind that come in a tub)
Nutritional Yeast
Salt
Onion granules

and a pestle and mortar.

The measurements are flexible and it's best to try it out and adjust to your own tastes.

How to make DIY vegan cheese from nutritional yeast and pine nuts secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

Pop some pine nuts into the pestle and mortar, about a tablespoon or so, depending on how much vegan cheese sprinkles you need.  Crush them with the pestle and mortar.

How to make DIY vegan cheese from nutritional yeast and pine nuts secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

Add some breadcrumbs and crush a bit more.

How to make DIY vegan cheese from nutritional yeast and pine nuts secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

Mix in some nutritional yeast flakes.

How to make DIY vegan cheese from nutritional yeast and pine nuts secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

Add a little, tiny pinch of salt and some onion granules.  Give the mixture a final crush in the pestle and mortar and then it's ready to use.

How to make DIY vegan cheese from nutritional yeast and pine nuts secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk

We usually use this as a pizza topping, but you can use it however you like, maybe on an oven bake, or over pasta. 

I also love using nutritional yeast flakes to make my own vegan cheesy crisps

What vegan cheese alternatives are your favourites?

Vegan Life Magazine issue 7 secondhandsusie.blogspot.co.uk
Photo c/o Vegan Life Magazine

This issue of Vegan Life Magazine (which is the pizza issue, need I say more!) has lots more ideas for vegan cheese alternatives.


Disclosure - I have been provided with a free digital subscription to Vegan Life Magazine in return for reviewing this publication.  I have my own little page in the bloggers section on their lovely website.  All opinions are, of course, my own.

2 comments:

  1. Ace, I'll definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, I don't like shop-bought vegan cheese when it's melted (it sticks to my teeth!) so this is a nice alternative.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie