Thursday 30 May 2019

My homegrown harvest, May 2019.

I've had a few tiny, tasty harvests this month, I hope next month there'll be much more! 

I picked these chive flowers and have popped them in a bottle with some white wine vinegar to make chive blossom vinegar, so far it's very pink! 

My homegrown harvest, May 2019.  From UK garden blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #gardenharvest #ukgardenblogger #suburbangarden #suburbanpermaculture

I've had my first pickings from my front garden raised beds. I planted my red onion sets and garlic cloves too close together on purpose so I could strategically pick the thinnings for an extra harvest!  I've picked a few stems from my perennial Welsh onions that I've planted out in my flower beds this year.

My homegrown harvest, May 2019.  From UK garden blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #gardenharvest #ukgardenblogger #suburbangarden #suburbanpermaculture

My homegrown harvest, May 2019.  From UK garden blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #gardenharvest #ukgardenblogger #suburbangarden #suburbanpermaculture

I've picked a whole load of mint to dry, Joe buys mint teabags but I hope he'll like homegrown instead to save some money and the plastic-y teabags. 

My homegrown harvest, May 2019.  From UK garden blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #gardenharvest #ukgardenblogger #suburbangarden #suburbanpermaculture

That's about it for this month, have you been harvesting much from the garden this month?






4 comments:

  1. Can I ask HOW you are drying your mint?? Also, the chive flowers- how much of the stem do you cut to put in the vinegar please? I am TOTALLY going to make this!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the mint - I stripped the leaves from the stems, washed them really well in my salad spinner then laid them out on some trays until they were crispy and dry.
      I've only made the chive vinegar once so I'm not an expert, but I just pulled the flower off the stem, but there are some recipes online that include the stem so I don't think you can go far wrong whatever you do :)

      Delete
  2. Envious of your chive flowers, I hd to dig out my plant as it got all knotted with grass. Stuck in another plant over the w/e so hopefully will get some still. Do be careful with the mint,it will take over....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww your poor chives :( Hope you get some flowers later! And don't worry the mint is safely confined in a pot!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie