Wednesday 6 July 2016

Library love.

The library's been good to me lately!  

I've been picking up some books I wouldn't normally read, like the retelling of Pride and Prejudice (I don't usually like Austen that's been messed with!) and the MC Beaton books, and it turns out I really liked them both.  Which is what the library's about really, isn't it? 

Library love. Eligible, Edwardian Murder Mysteries, Babysitters Club and Adulthood is a Myth. secondhandsusie.blogspot.com

Eligible - Curtis Sittenfeld
I was really, really, really into this modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice...until the last 100 pages.  It got a bit silly, I realise it was hard to come up with something that would be as scandalous today as Lydia and Wickham running off together was in P&P times.  But I didn't like the 'scandal' and I can't really say anymore about it without giving away spoilers!  Apart from the ending I really enjoyed this long, long book (it was 500 pages!) and I'd recommend it.

Edwardian Murder Mystery Series - Marion Chesney/MC Beaton
These books aren't really about the mysteries, they're about the romance between Harry and Lady Rose, who take the whole 4 books to get together.  MC Beaton is cheesy and predictable and easy to read and I love her.  Apparently.  

Library love. Eligible, Edwardian Murder Mysteries, Babysitters Club and Adulthood is a Myth. secondhandsusie.blogspot.com

Baby sitters Club - Kristy's Great Idea - Ann M. Martin and Raina Telgemeier
Yes, I'm re-reading the Baby sitters club books!  They've been turned into graphic novels with cute illustrations by Raina Telgemeier.  BSC books were a rare treat for me as a child, I didn't own any myself but my friend had loads and we used to read them all night during sleepovers.  Reading this gave me all the nostalgics and I specially loved the illustrations of Claudia's outifits!   

Adulthood is a Myth - Sarah Andersen 
I always read Sarah's Scribbles online, I'm not sure if the comics in this book are new or just the online ones republished, but either way I love her work and happily read/reread it.  My library has subscribed to a new e-comics service, with loads of comics and graphic novels available free, online to library members - I'm so happy!

What have you been reading?  



6 comments:

  1. I do seriously love me some books... I could sit and read all day!! But alas, working gets in the way of my reading time:) I hope you're having a great week! Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I always try to read on my lunchbreaks at work, so at least I get some reading in! Do you still work in teaching, I know you don't get much of a break for reading in that line of work!

      Delete
  2. I loved Eligible and I actually liked the scandal - I think she did a good job to come up with something that would cause upset for some people (particularly people like Mrs Bennett) nowadays, and I felt it was sensitively handled for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy it, I just guess I was thinking that the thing that was a scandal isn't seen as so scandalous anymore, but I suppose to some people it still would be - I thought the scandal would be more like he was already married to a reality TV star or something like that! Nice to see these kind of issues discussed in popular literature though, and it was sensitively handled :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a sucker for a P&P spinoff or retelling, will try to order this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie