Friday 29 July 2011

Library Love...The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating...


I found a couple of exciting new books this month at the library...

The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet - Joni Marie Newman
This recipe book has 101 recipes foe veggie burgers, I haven't made anything from it yet...but I can't wait to make the garlicky ranch potato burgers, curried split pea burgers, potato samosa burger and falafel burger.  I really like that the recipes are labeled if they're soy or wheat free (I'm allergic to soya!) In fact, the only bad point is that  a lot of the recipes are heavily based on soya, tofu or TVP, all of which are made out of soya, I find this is common in a lot of veggie/vegan recipe books, especially American ones, so it's not just a fault in this book (but all recipe books! :( )

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating - Elisabeth Tova Bailey
I had to get this book as soon as I saw it, it does very well at capturing the endearing antics of the little wood snail kept as a pet by the author when she was bed bound.  It's also full of interesting snail-y facts, I have been informed and entertained.  Very good.

Have you read anything exciting recently?

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, those both look good! I just returned 2 books to the library: Vertical Gardening and dig. Both gardening-specific. Loved them both so much I'll check them out again in the winter to remind me of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point about the Veggie Burger book. I made some meatballs from Joni's web awhile ago http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/versatile-veggie-meatballs.html
    and they were made from soya. Still woudl be curious to have a gander at this book, esp. as she has now published a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read that snail book! Right now I am into "My Stroke of Insight" which is very good...it's written by a neuroscientist who suffered a brain haemorrhage and fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 101 veg burger recipes? seriously...? Sounds amazing. I don't eat soy though, but interesting non the less. Pet snail? ha-ha! That's soooo sweeet! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. veggie burger books sounds yummy! I love eating them but have never dared to make one. Do you need a blender for these recipes?? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon Marie - those gardening books sound great, I'm going to see if my library has them, I need some new gardeny inspiration!

    Hi Shaheen, I didn't realise Joni was on the web as well as in a book, i shall have to check her out! It is a shame about all the soya, but there are still enough soya-free recipes to make it interesting :)

    Jacyln, I can reccomend the snail book, tis very good (i did skip some of the bits about the lady being poorly and mostly focused on the bits about the snail though!) My Stroke of Insight sounds interesting, sounds a bit like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, written by a man who had a brain injury, who could only blink his eye (he wrote it by blinking at flashcards with letters on and having someone write it down!) which is on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Carolyn! 101 veggie burger recipes are totally neccessary, aren't they!? Loads of them look really yummy too!

    Joddle, I think you need a blender for some recipes, but I've always found using a potato masher or a fork to be as effective when making veggie burgers in the past...you should give it a go...it's fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie